Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Needs vs. Wants

As I approach my next Life Passage and have those financial worries coursing through my veins, I am constantly checking my spreadsheets to visually remind myself that our retirement incomes will be able to meet our needs. However, like most Americans, my wants far exceed my needs. Yet many of the things we continually want may give temporary pleasure, but they do not necessarily contribute to our happiness. When I stop to realize that I will be able to meet my basic needs and even be able to gather in many of the wants, I realize that in giving up some of the wants (which cause me to have to continue to work 8 hours a day), then what I will gain in return is more time and energy for those things I know will contribute to my happiness. Time for helping family, time for socializing, time for my various interests, and especially time for snuggling and playing with three special boys and the little girl soon to join us.

Time with these three and the one on the way.
More times for precious moments like these - when you turn around to find a little one has grabbed your granny glasses.
Mark always like my rhinestone-studded glasses best.
From Peter Walsh: “In life, there are limits. We can’t all climb Mt. Everest. We can’t all live in mansions with butlers and drive Rolls-Royces. We can’t all have an unlimited source of funds just as we can’t have unlimited natural resources. On planet Earth there are limitations to be had despite desires, wants, entitlements, and wishes. And despite your best efforts, limits are all around us. Some of our limits are flexible – some are absolute limits beyond which we cannot go. Pretending limits do not exist can be a serious mistake."

No comments:

Post a Comment