Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow-In 2011

I am in day 4 of the big snow/ice storm in Atlanta. Ron went to work today but my school system is still closed so I get a bonus day of hibernation. I have spent my morning cleaning, decluttering, and preparing documents for our construction loan application. That new book I downloaded to my iPad last night is still sitting there softly calling my name. Perhaps I can be introduced to that group of new friends this afternoon.

The snow is beginning to melt in my back yard. The shadows the sun makes on the snow are beautiful. My little gardening shed stands solid, patiently waiting for my return this coming spring.

Ron helped me put the raised-bed vegetable garden to bed last fall by covering it with a blanket of mulched leaves. This week it has received an extra blanket of snow. Just imagine how that snow is going to help those leaves turn into compost even faster. I wonder, are there tons of beneficial nutrients in that snow that are leaching into my garden soil getting ready to make my tomatoes and squash large and juicy?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're really enjoying your 'forced' vacation! You go Girl!!!!

    As far as the snow on your garden area - extra moisture on your mulch to help break it down is the only benefit that I'm aware of.

    However, that stand of snow over your bulbs, perennials, shrubs, etc acts as an insulator. The ground won't freeze as deeply as it would without the snow; therefore your bulbs and roots are much safer with snow around them in these cold temps than they would be without the snow.

    I still love the shed! Sure hope you're planning on for NC.

    ReplyDelete