Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heigh ho, Heigh ho

It's off to work I go. The mini-vacation is over. With heart sagging and feet dragging, I managed to make it back to my desk at RCPS just now. Yesterday was the MLK holiday so at least I only have to get through a four-day work week.
It's funny that all the female co-workers in my building were sad about returning. The women in my age group liked that little taste of what retirement will be like. The younger women loved having a full week to be a stay-at-home mom. Only the men here are bouncing up and down the halls happy to be back out in the work world. They can have it. Are our male/female psyches hard-wired to be workers/hearthkeepers, respectively?

The better part of the morning for the women has been the exchange of news - sharing what I did with my time and catching up on their doings. Thanks to the ability to check work e-mails and voice-mails from home means very few of us have a backlog of messages to follow-up on so I suspect a little less work will get done today. After all, we all are feeling the need to ease back into this routine.

I've noticed the early arrivers did not get in quite as early this morning. The people who usually arrive on the button are still not here 10 minutes later. Now that I've finished my commisserating with co-workers about the inevitable return, it's time to review that suspense folder and make my to do list for the day.

One day at a time. Just get through today and then there's only three more. By next Monday, it will be business as usual.

2 comments:

  1. Do I hear you wishing your life away? Or do I hear the anticipation of getting to NC with those three boys? Personally, I think it's the latter!!! Lucky, lucky you!

    When my three boys were home, I thought the noise, messes, questions, and demands would NEVER stop - now I wish they hadn't!

    I think you hit it on the head with your statement, "Are our male/female psyches hard-wired to be workers/hearthkeepers, respectively?"

    I don't think anyone has enjoyed retirement as much as me! No more alarm clocks - fighting that traffic - meeting (or in some cases missing)deadlines - explaining decisions to superiors - rushing home to make dinner - getting ready for the next day then falling into bed dog-tired!

    Were those the 'good ole days?' I think NOT .. .these are the 'good old days' (literally).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminders for those of us in that small-children stage right now. As frustrating and stressful as it can get, we need to remember to enjoy every day with these little treasures. I know they will grow up so fast. Then I will clean my house :)

    ReplyDelete