Thursday, April 7, 2011

Blissful Sound

There is nothing like the pure love you have for a grandchild - child of my child, heart of my heart. Everything about each one born is uniquely special. Grandmothers never tire of rocking, feeding, diaper changing, hugging, smiles, giggles, and snuggles. Grandmothers may be the only people on earth who take great delight in hearing babies breathing into the phone.

But the most blissful sound is the first time you hear that Special One speak your name. That is what happened to me today. I phoned Jennifer to see how she is faring with all the nuances of her hectic schedule this week and the twins were in the mood to "talk" to me. Brett said Mark and by-by. Then Jennifer asked Gantt if he wanted to talk to G.G. and he very distinctly said "G.G." to me for the first time. 

My heart leapt. My heart was immediately flooded with absolute joy. It doesn't matter how many grandchildren you have, that first time each individual grandchild utters your name is one of those undescribable moments of Pure Bliss that simply must be experienced.

1 comment: