Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Big Countdown

February has arrived. One down and only eleven more to go. At the end of the day yesterday, I removed one of the 12 calendars from the Big Countdown of Calendars hanging on my wall in my office.
Now don't get me wrong. My job at RCPS has been good in so many ways. When I retire, I will have worked here for 22 years. However, my dreams in my early years were simple. I just wanted to be a good mother and wife. I never really sought a career other than that, but one day life changed for my husband and me, and I suddenly needed a paycheck.

So 22 years later, I can say that working at RCPS has certainly provided job satisfaction and friendships along with that steady paycheck. Yet I look forward to reaching that delightful day of taking that retirement check and returning to my original dream...except this time it will be grandmothering rather than mothering.

If life follows the plan Ron and I are developing, then one year from today I will be in Wake Forest probably still unpacking boxes and turning a new house into a home.

My oldest grandson will be starting another hockey season...one in which I will actually be able to attend all of his games.

My little twins will be going on three, so I will have a little bit of time with them before they enter the magical realm of pre-kindergarten.

My prayer is that all our planning falls into place. But all of us know that the road of life is filled with the unplanned - those unexpected twists and turns and detours. Our best lessons are learned as you deal with the unplanned. In my mind's eye, I have created what I think is a happy scenario for next February. But being happy does not necessarily mean having the scenario play out exactly as you had planned; it means determining to look beyond any imperfections and find joy in what is. Happiness can be found in remembering to be grateful for all the people in our lives and find the beauty that surrounds us all every day that we are alive.

On this first day of February, embrace gratefulness for your life, however it looks. Stop for a few minutes and take a mental walk among your blessings and "count them one by one".

For the beauty of the earth,
for the glory of the skies,
for the love which from our birth
over and around us lies;
Lord of all, to thee we raise
this our hymn of grateful praise.
            Hymn by Folliot S. Pierpoint

No comments:

Post a Comment